Saturday, March 26, 2005

Everyone's a critic of the critics of the critics. Wait, that's me!

Deconstruction is hard... it's hard work.

Via Norwegianity.com, we find this scandalous bit of nosey bloggery.
http://www.bigbrassblog.com/2005/03/thin-skin-of-technorati-testosteroni.html

For those who don't know Atrios, I'm not him. Nor am I receiving any contingent commission from him. In fact, his blog isn't even on my wee list of blogs here or on the other site that I have. (two blogs, what a country!)

So, what's the damned deal? A guy can't write a little blog on a scrap of the internet on his own terms now? I love the Daily Show as much as the next person and I thought it was pretty cool that Atrios has been mentioned a time or two. (even though he hasn't coughed up that Jon Stewart autograph he promised me for watering his plants when he was in Jamaica that week)

But back to the the point - it's a blog. "Blog" shouldn't even be a word yet, much less a point to pin your views of someone's character on. Hell's bells, let the man sleep once in a while! Atrios hasn't volunteered to be the Voice of Reason for America any more than Michelle Malkin or Ann Coulter have. Wait... bad analogy.... Anyhoo - he's one person, he doesn't have contributing contributors who contribute contributions to his blog. (That's professional blog speak, for those of you new to blogs and blogging.)

As for his "minions", what red-blooded man in his right mind wouldn't want minions? I mean, come on... minions! I'll admit, there are some commentors who will sully up a comment section that Atrios might point to. I'm not one of those commentors. On the other hand, those of us who frequent Atrios' comments sections (open thread or not) get to experience the less than friendly comments left by the late nite Cheetos brigade. Good times, especially for the ladies. The Troll Chow™ folks are getting their money's worth, I can tell you.

Maybe Atrios takes a break once in a while but there are plenty of people having plenty of discussions in those "go" threads. Music, religion, politics, culture, cartoons, jobs, health, civil rights, beer... discussions involving quite a few people who may not have a convenient or comfortable outlet to discuss these issues where they work or shop or live.

Go. Enjoy. Have fun. And people do... maybe something happens, maybe it doesn't. Beats hell out of reading the bible by candlelight, as far as I'm concerned.